Role Of Physiotherapy in Coccydynia Or Tail Bone Pain Treatment
Coccydynia pain in or around the bony structure at the bottom of the spine (coccyx or tailbone). Also known as tailbone pain. Inflammation of the tailbone (coccyx or bony area located deep between the buttocks above the ANUS) is referred to as coccydynia. Coccydynia is associated with pain and tenderness at the tip of the tailbone between the buttocks. Prolong sitting offer worsens the pain or symptoms. Coccydynia is a secondary problem which can be caused after “bone fracture”, “herniated disc”, “bone injection”,” injury or trauma”, “ childbirth”.
We all tend to lead a “sedentary lifestyle” in which we spend at least 50 hours in a week sitting in front of desktops. This ultimately leads to acute pain and discomfort, leading to various health conditions such as depression, obesity, pain in the joints and in particular back pain. It is when a disease named coccydynia comes into picture.
Women’s are five times more likely to develop coccydynea than men due to the association with childbirth and pregnancy.
Is it possible to prevent tailbone Pain?
· Most coccyx injuries are accidental such as a slip on ice and therefore cannot be entirely avoided.
· Wear proper protective padding when participating in contact sports, which can potentially prevent some coccyx injuries.
Treatment of tailbone pain
· Some painkillers can be given to ease the pain.
· Stool softeners medications may be needed to prevent constipation.
· Corticosteroids injections can also be given.
· Manipulations of the coccyx may be attempted to move the coccyx into the proper position and alignment.
· Injection of the tailbone may require antibiotics. Physical therapy may help.
Some home remedy
Home care is aimed at controlling the pain and avoiding further irritation to the coccyx.
· Avoid prolong standing and sitting on too hard surface.
· Use of cushions or pillow while sitting on hard surfaces.
· Apply ice on tailbone for 15-20 minutes for four times a day
· A doughnut cushion should be used while sitting
· Eat high fiber diet.
Role of physiotherapy
Physiotherapy plays a vast role in coccyx pain on coccydynia treatment. It can save you from surgical procedure or any kind of painful maneuvers. Basically coccydynia is inflammation of tailbone on coccyx therefore an ice therapy is the first step for the acute pain later hot pack can be applied to reduce muscle tension a doughnut cushion is been prescribed while sitting to reduce the further risk of injury to the tailbone.
Some exercises will help in relieving the symptoms:-
1 Kneeling groin stretch
It can help prevent coccyx pain from occurring after long periods of sitting adductor Magnus is a muscle which contributes to tailbone pain when it is tight. It gets stretched during this exercise and helps prevent tailbone pain.
2 Piriformis stretch
It can help prevent coccyx pain from occurring. If the pirifomis muscle is shortened or in tightness will coccyx pain hence during this stretch a exercise muscle gets stretched & help prevent coccyx pain.
· Walking should be done at least 15-30 at brisk pace.
· Normally the coccyx gets stuck in a wrong position then it provokes a muscle spasm. The spasm then block the coccyx which gets worse with passage of time? Sometimes it may lead to never entrapment in the coccygeal area.
· It is necessary to unblock the coccyx and relax the muscles as soon as possible. The best option to achieve is to walk fast for many hours a day.
· Walking has powerful relaxing effects on the spasms that tend to build up around coccyx.
· Strolling just doesn’t work.
4 Kegel Exercises
· Kegel exercises will help in strengthening the kevic muscles, sphincter muscles.
· Laser therapy laser therapy is known to be reliving the symptoms & pain.
· Ultrasonic therapy US therapy will help reducing the tenderness over the tailbone region.
5 Other exercises such as abdominal strengthening and weightless squats will also help in relieving the symptoms.
6 Hamstring stretch during coccyx pain hamstring is the most commonly tight muscles & stretching it will relieve the symptoms.
7 Spinal extensions should be done.
8 Bridging exercised of spine/back will also relieve the symptoms.